History and Mission
Lake Middle School, formerly known as Lake Junior High School, has deep roots in the City of Denver. The school opened its doors to students on September 8, 1926. Lake’s outstanding academic offerings, location, historical architectural status and strong ties to thousands of local junior high graduates have made Lake an important educational institution for more than 90 years.
At Lake Middle School, we empower all students to achieve academic excellence, develop strength of character and build inclusive communities to impact our future.
Click here – Watch our video to get a glimpse of our mission in action!
Lake Middle School offers:
- Individualized attention and careful consideration of each student’s needs and class schedule
- Dedicated school leadership and outstanding teachers with a strong common focus on students in the important middle school (6th – 8th) years.
- 1-to-1 Technology School – every student receives their own Chromebook for use at school and at home
- Strong school culture and intentional structures which foster academic success
- Weekly progress reports mean constant communication with parents and student accountability
- Action Learning projects to increase global awareness
- Math and Language Arts Honors classes
- Spanish Language Arts and Spanish as a Second Language classes taught by two full-time Spanish teachers with a focus to prepare students for the DPS Seal of Biliteracy
Daily Electives on each student’s schedule! Elective choices include: Band, Choir, P.E., STEM, Visual Art, Spanish, Drama, Leadership, Yearbook & Photography, Newspaper & Journalism, Creative Writing, and many others
- Highly trained and licensed staff members for nurturing students social/emotional needs
- Academic intervention for literacy and math, as well as English Language Development (ELD) programming
- Rigorous continuation requirements and assurance that all students are well prepared for high school and beyond
- Free healthcare at the Denver Health school-based clinic
- Partnership with Mi Casa Neighborhood Center provides access to afterschool clubs, activities and academic tutoring
- Denver Prep League Athletics: Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Softball, Baseball, Cheer, XC and Tackle Football
- Historic, beautiful building located on the eastern edge of Sloan’s Lake
Join us for a school tour! We’d love to show you around our beautiful school and give you a look inside our classrooms in action! Please click here for more information.